This term we will be inquiring into the appropriate use of social media. Social media has taken the world by storm and now dominates the lives of many people around the world. Social media has many benefits to society, however when it is not used appropriately it can have dangerous consequences.
During the inquiry unit you will be required to complete a number of task. Your main tasks will be a graph displaying data about social media, a powerful persuasive piece of writing and a well-presented video clip. You can refer to your checklist for a thorough list of what you be required to do.
Today, we have three videos that we will watch separately and then discuss and complete some small tasks.
– What is the purpose of social media? Explain.
– What are the benefits of social media to society? Explain.
– Describe the different ways that social media can be misused.
– How can social media be harmful to people?
– What are the consequences of using social media incorrectly?
Teen Social Networking Use
- 73% of teens are on a social network
- The average teen has 201 Facebook friends
- 37% send messages to friends every day
- 8% of American teens use Twitter
What Teens do on Facebook
- 86% of social network-using teens comment on a friend’s wall
- 83% comment on friends’ pictures
- 66% send private messages to friends
- 58% send IM or text messages using the site
- 52% send group messages
What Else Happens on Facebook
- 55% of teens have given out personal info to someone they don’t know, including photos and physical descriptions
- 29% of teens have posted mean info, embarrassing photos or spread rumors about someone
- 29% have been stalked or contacted by a stranger or someone they don’t know
- 24% have had private or embarrassing info made public without their permission
- 22% have been cyberpranked
Look at these statistics. What does it tell you about social media?
Inquiry Reflection – Appropriate use of Social Media – Week 1
Explain what you learnt about social media today. You may have learnt something about its purpose, benefits, negative impacts or statistics.