This term we will be having a big focus on completing SQ3R responses. The purpose of an SQ3R is to be able to successfully comprehend non-fiction texts. SQ3R stands for :
– Survey the text (write 3-5 key words or ideas after you have scanned the text)
– Question (use your key words or ideas to ask thick questions)
– Read (read all of the text and write down 2 or 3 important parts of the text)
– Recite (use the text and your own inferences to answer your questions with evidence)
– Review (summarise the text in your own words and include your own opinions with evidence)
This week I will be using the following link to model to the grade how an SQ3R can be completed.
In your independent time, you will need to work on independently reading your text, tracking your thinking, using comprehension strategies and responding to your book by structuring a reading response. Remember you can use the Reading Response Expectations post on the blog to revise different types of reading responses.