Yesterday we began a unit of work on OWIs. We use OWIs to get us thinking about important parts of a text to help us understand what we are reading. Today we are going to continue to use images to practise completing an OWI.
You will need to:
- Look carefully at one of the images and pick out 2 important observations (what you can see)
- Ask a powerful question for each of your observation
- Infer an answer to your question and try to support your answer with some evidence.
For homework this week, you are going to complete an OWI (observe, wonder and infer) on the image below. You will need to look at the image:
- Describe 1 key observation.
- Ask a powerful question about your observation.
- Answer your question with an inference (try and use some evidence).
This week we have used pictures to complete OWIs. The purpose of an OWI is to be able to determine importpart parts of a text and use our inferring skills to gain a greater understanding of what we have read.
Today we are going to complete an OWI on a written text. We are using a page from Endangered Close Up, written by Laura Hendry.
– We will read the text about tigers and make a key observation by determining an important fact.
– We will then ask a thick question about the key observation.
– An inference will then be made to answer the question and evidence will be included to support our inference.
This week we have started completing OWIs to give us a better understanding of books we read. We have used images to help us understand how an OWI works.
O = a key observation
W = wonder (ask a thick question about your key observation)
I = Make an Inference to answer your question and try and include some evidence.
For this week’s homework you will use the image below (which we used for our 100 word challenge on the ferocious wind) to complete an OWI. Your work does not need to be presented in a table. You can write a comment on the blog or on a piece of paper and explain a key observation from the image, your thick question and your inference with evidence. Your homework will be due on Friday the 24th of July.
Today you will be working on an OWI.
O = Key Observations
W = Wondering > thick questions
I – Inferences with evidence
Use the link below to complete an OWI. Ensure you track your thinking by writing down the key observations that you’ll use to ask your questions and infer from.
Today we are going to complete an OWI from Paul Jenning’s Know All. You will need to make three observations of key parts, ask thick questions and infer answers with questions with evidence. Also remember to complete the title author and SL1S.